The MA thesis can be written in one of the following subject areas: Synchronic Linguistics (module WP 38), Diachronic Linguistics (module WP 39), Literature and Culture (module WP 40) or TEFL (module WP 41). The final modules WP 38-41 comprise the MA thesis and the MA Defense ("Disputation"), i.e. an oral exam on the MA thesis.
Please note that there are two different registration periods for different groups of MA students:
- students who complete the MA programme within the recommended 4 semesters ("Regelstudienzeit"), i.e. who follow the recommendation in the checklist, register for the thesis as usual at the end of the term break (= registration period 2), and submit at submission date 2
- students who write their thesis in semester 5 or later register earlier, in registration period 1 (= ! usually at the very beginning of the term break), and submit at submission date 1.
Please contact the supervisor you would like to write your thesis with BEFORE registration period 1, even if you can register in the later registration period 2. This is essential because supervisors can, overall, only take a limited number of candidates.
More information on the MA thesis and the registration periods can be found on the PAGS website.
Please also consult our information sheet for an overview of the most important steps.
- semester recommended by the PStO for writing the MA thesis: 4th (regular) semester
- semester in which the MA thesis has to be registered for/written at the latest: 5th (regular) semester
Please note that there are two different registration periods (registration period 2 if you register at the end of the 3rd semester, registration period 1 if you register at the end of your 4th or a later (regular) semester), see above.
- in Linguistics:
Prof. Dr. Stephanie Hackert
Prof. Dr. Saskia Kersten
Prof. Dr. Ursula Lenker (information on writing the thesis with Prof. Lenker)
Prof. Dr. Hans-Jörg Schmid
- in Literature and Culture:
Prof. Dr. Ingo Berensmeyer
Prof. Dr. Tobias Döring
PD Dr. Daniella Jancso
Prof. Dr. Helge Nowak
Prof. Dr. Claudia Olk
Apl. Prof. Dr. Enno Ruge
- in TEFL/English Language Teaching:
Please contact the university teacher by whom you would like to be supervised well before the registration period - the number of candidates that a teacher can supervise is limited and the topic areas have to fit the respective supervisor's areas of expertise/interest. If you intend to write your thesis in TEFL, it is highly recommended to contact the TEFL Department very early (ideally at least one year in advance).
- the (exact) topic is set by the supervisor and is announced on the first day of the writing period (usually directly by the supervisor and/or the coordinator of the study programme; some time later, the topic can also be seen in LSF in the section "List of exams registered for")
- it is possible (and highly recommended) to talk with the supervisor about possible topics/topic areas in advance to thesis registration; please contact your supervisor well before the registration period
When and how do I register for the MA thesis? When and how do I register for the defense ("Disputation")?
- please use this registration form to register in the registration period that is defined for your semester; the exact procedure is as follows:
- Please fill in the top part of the form and sign at "Unterschrift des/der Studierenden"
- Hand the form over to your supervisor (either by e-mail oder in person in an office hour). The supervisor will then enter the topic, sign and stamp the form
- Ask your supervisor to hand the form on to Dr. Günther, and to do so during the registration period (Friday noon at the latest).
There is no separate registration for the defense (Disputation). Your supervisor will contact you about this once he/she has marked your thesis.
- the writing period is 20 weeks
- the submission deadline is announced on the PAGS website
Please note the information above on different registration periods and different submission deadlines (registration period/submission deadline 2 für students who register at the end of their 3rd semester, registration period/submission deadline 1 for students who register at the end of their 4th or a later semester).
- 60.000 - max. 90.000 characters (without spaces; the title sheet, table of contents, list of references and appendix are not counted)
- you need to hand in two bound print copies (together with the title sheet and declaration of plagiarism). The copies are to be handed in in person at PAGS; up-to-date information on the submission procedure can be found on the PAGS website
- some supervisors want students to submit an additional electronic copy by E-Mail; please ask your supervisor about this
- the MA thesis can be repeated once
- the second try has to be done in the semester which directly follows the first (failed) attempt
- please contact the PAGS (Ms. Pérez-Morales) as early as possible
- if you are ill or cannot work for other (valid) reasons during less than half of the writing period (i.e. for less than 10 weeks), you can apply for an extension of the writing period; information on the documents needed to do so (e.g. medical certificate) is provided by the PAGS
- if you are ill or cannot work for other (valid) reasons during more than half of the writing period (i.e. for more than 10 weeks), your registration for the MA thesis can be cancelled; information on the documents needed to do so (e.g. medical certificate) is provided by the PAGS
- it is not possible to unregister for reasons other than illness (or comparable reasons accepted as valid by the PAGS; see above)